Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Saving Money on Food

So... the other day when I was trying to figure out where all the money went, I decided to look at my checking account and add up all the trips to grocery stores, fast food, farm markets, and anywhere else I may have bought food this past month of August and I was SHOCKED!!!!  When it was all said and done, I had spent almost $1000 total.  It's not completely all food since I probably bought non-food items at some of those stores too, but still, that is just way out of control!  Don'tcha think?

I have a huge mental block when it comes to making a menu and shopping and I think I have figured out why.  I have read too much for my own good.  I want to eat as healthy and delicious as I possibly can, but I also want it to be easy and affordable.  I am learning that those things; healthy, delicious, easy, and affordable, don't really seem to go hand in hand.

Here are some of my specifications for food I want to purchase:
  • Avoid processed food as much as I can, especially foods that contain large amounts of sugar, any high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), partially hydrogenated oils, or MSG.  
  • Eat as much organic as possible.
  • Eat mostly vegetarian and meats that contain no hormones or anti-biotics
  • Eat mostly organic
With these specifications, I recognize:
  • It will be very difficult, if possible at all, to find coupons for food on my shopping list
  • I will most likely be shopping at several stores, not just one or two.
And with that being said, I read a suggestion about buying groceries for an entire month. I have NEVER done this before.  I have just made a list with a slot for every day of the month.  I crossed out the days I will not be eating at home and my next step is to fill in a meal for each day.

I will be back with my list.






No comments:

Post a Comment